close

STEPS Charity Worldwide

Registered Charity No 1094343. A Not for Profit Company Registration No 4379997

The STEPS National Office Help-Line is open Monday-Friday, 9.30am - 4.00pm (calls charged at national rate)

Address: STEPS, Wright House, Crouchley Lane, Lymm, Cheshire WA13 0AS

Helpline: +44 (0)1925 750271

Admin Telephone: +44 (0)1925 750273

Fax: +44 (0)1925 750 270

Email: info@steps-charity.org.uk

Contact STEPS

Click the button below to complete our enquiry form:

Read more...

Contact Us
I Am:
Follow us on:
helpline
01925 750271
We don't take walking for granted
Print - Text Size + Text Size
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Here we go again.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Here we go again.

Here we go again. 2 years, 7 months ago #76056

Hi

Darcie was x rayed today (spine and hip) as she has been complaining of pain daily. Much to my dread, she is going to have a pelvic osteotomy in june. He is not sure entirely about the femur, as there is a chance that she may have AVN but he advised that this is something that would be addressed in the future. I feel like I know so much about casts and braces for little ones (as Darcie has had 20 months in casts and braces), but I am clueless how i will manage her in a cast now she is nearly 3.

Please can anyone advise on the best double pram to get for Darcie who will be just gone 3 and Daniel who is now 4 months? I am sure my phil and Teds won't do. Also if any pram fits a step on the back for Amelie?

Will she fit into the spica car seat I have from in car safety or will she need a harness?

I actually feel like this is a dream. Think I had forgotton how stressful this all is. Any advise at all would be great.

Oh and how and when should I start to prepare her?

Thankyou

Sunneva

Note: BBcode and smileys are still usable.

Darcie Thorpe CDH diagnosed May 2010 Closed Reduction June 2010. 20 months of casts and braces. Treatment failed.Likely decision: Pelvic osteotomy summer 2012

Darcie Thorpe DDH diagnosed May 2010 Closed Reduction June 2010. 20 months of casts and braces. Treatment failed.Pemberton Osteotomy 25/06/12, metal work due to come out 06/08/12 and will go into abduction brace

Re: Here we go again. 2 years, 7 months ago #76060

• Emmaand3
  • Senior Forum User
So sorry you have to go through this again, your advice has always been so great. Erin is going to be 2.5 and going in spica again for a salters this time.

Pram wise i have no idea I use a double emmaljunga for Erin depending on how wide cast is you could fit a littley next to her. With erins second spica, I couldnt fit anything else in as she was at 180 degrees. But with third i could pop her one yr old cousin next to her with a bit of clever positioning.

The britax two way will be fine, I used it with Erin with no problem.

I am only going to talk to Erin about it a couple of days before. Will read her maisie etc again.

Hope all goes well. x
www.emmaand3.com
Born 17/11/09
Spica cast 24/10/11 for 18 weeks

Re: Here we go again. 2 years, 7 months ago #76071

Sorry to here the news on Darcy. All your advice has been brilliant for us through declans spica.

I hope all goes well and you don't have to wait too long for the operation.

Keep smiling and enjoy this time with Darcy and your other children

Mich x
Declan - born 26/08/11
Diagnosed with hip dysplasia - Dec 11
Pavlik harness - 2 weeks Failed
Closed surgery 17/1/12 with Spica for 3 months - Failed
Open surgery - awaiting operation date

Re: Here we go again. 2 years, 7 months ago #76112

Hi Sunneva

Sorry to hear that your daughter needs a pelvic osteotomy and has suspected AVN. You must be so fed up. My son Tristan has suspected osteonecrosis as well as hip dysplasia. I think AVN and osteonecrosis is the same thing but I might be wrong. My sons femur is growing at an angle instead of straight and has mild fragmentation. Is Darcie similar ? Have you been told anything about AVN ? I found the news about Tristan's suspected osteonecrosis the most upsetting of all.

Good luck with the operation.

Zillia

Re: Here we go again. 2 years, 7 months ago #76115

Hi all thanks for the replies.

Zilla I have to admit I have not been able to bring myself to google AVN to learn anything about it. I think I almost feel worse this time that I did last time about the whole thing. I hate thinking of her going through any more. The last two years of her little life has been casts and braces (except for the last 3 months). The consultant was very vague. He said to me remember I spoke to you about Avascular necrosis as one of the possible side effects? I immediately started crying so he said I'll know more when I operate and it is something we won't address until she is about 10. The head of her femur is clearly not normal from the x ray but it is a pelvic osteotomy which he is doing. I will get more info next time we see him as I'll be more composed! I know what you mean. The hips you almost grow to accept, but these added extras are not what we bargined for!! Hope all goes well with your surgery.......keep us posted

Sunneva xxx

Darcie Thorpe DDH diagnosed May 2010 Closed Reduction June 2010. 20 months of casts and braces. Treatment failed.Pemberton Osteotomy 25/06/12, metal work due to come out 06/08/12 and will go into abduction brace

Re: Here we go again. 2 years, 7 months ago #76135

Hi Sunneva

Sounds like you have had a really tough time.I always find it hard to think straight during Tristan's hospital appointment - it is all so stressful. I was in tears on the way home.

I didn't find out much from googling osteonecrosis. Tristan's Dr has said his bone has an irregular appearance on the x ray and when I mentioned the fact that Tristan has suspected osteonecrosis to my own orthopaedic surgeon he said it was serious. Like Darcie Tristan's doctor has only talked about a pelvic osteotomy even though his femur is growing at an angle.

Thanks for wishing me luck for my operation. It is 4 weeks today and I am very nervous.

Hope you find out more at your next appointment.

Zilliax
  • Page:
Bookmark & Share This Page:

Welcome to STEPS. We are a national charity supporting children and adults affected by a lower limb condition such as clubfoot or a hip condition. Our website is a great source of information but if you would like to talk to someone please call our helpline on 01925 750271 or email info@steps-charity.org.uk.

Supporting & guiding
Training & educating
Empowering & enabling
Providing & connecting
Seeking & campaigning

foot icon

for current updates

Click Here

Address: STEPS, Wright House, Crouchley Lane, Lymm, Cheshire WA13 0AS